Friday, October 14, 2016

An Introduction to This Blog and Myself

I teach AP US History and Holocaust Studies at Shades Valley High School in Birmingham, Alabama.  In addition to teaching, I have spent approximately the last two years writing a book about Holocaust survivor, Max Steinmetz.  To make a long story very short, this past summer I received a grant from Fund for Teachers and had the opportunity to visit Max's hometown of Targu Lapus, Romania.  Not only was this trip invaluable for purposes of writing the book, it was an incredible experience where I met many wonderful people.  It is because of meeting these people, also teachers, that this blog evolved. 

Before leaving Romania, I had a conversation with Florina Ciupe, teacher of English at Petru Rares High School in Targu Lapus, Romania.  We talked about the possibility of our classes doing a project together during the next school year.  That school year is now here, and we are ready to embark on connecting my classroom in Birmingham, AL with her classroom in Targu Lapus, Romania.  The project is almost finalized, but we will be working together on a book study on some aspect of the Holocaust.  It is my goal that we will all learn from each other.  It is also my goal that Max Steinmetz, who never returned to his hometown in Romania, will be touched and amazed by these connections. 

2 comments: